Suicidal thoughts or behaviors are both damaging and life-threatening and are considered a psychiatric emergency. Each year, between 1,200 and 1,500 individuals in Ohio take their own life. Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death among adults in our nation, and the 3rd leading cause of death among adolescents.
If you need help now, call 1-800-273-TALK or text “4hope” to 741. To find additional resources and information, visit Ohio’s Suicide Prevention.
- Sudden radical changes in mood, particularly depression
- Increasingly self deprecating remarks
- Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs
- Giving away of cherished items, making goodbyes
- Serious withdrawal from activities and significant persons
- Persistent discussions of death
- Self destructive or high risk behavior